Friday, September 9, 2011

elizabeth taylor's jewelry


The estate of Elizabeth Taylor is putting up her jewelry collection for auction in December. Its estimated total cost is $30 million. Among others, there's the 33.19 karat diamond known as the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond, a gift from Richard Burton. It's expected to fetch $2.5 to $3.5 million.



A portion of the proceeds will go to her AIDS Foundation. Very noble.



I wonder how it feels like to wear a diamond like that, a diamond that has its own proper name.



I have a friend who keeps her jewelry in a safety deposit box in a bank. She takes out one piece to wear for a few days, gives it back to the bank for safekeeping, and takes out another one.



I have another friend who wore these nice gold ball earrings, and at P20,000 they're the cheapest thing in her collection.



Still there's another friend who asks a jewelry maker to come to the office from time to time. She checks out jewelry designs in the internet, then asks the maker to customize pieces for her, in white and yellow gold. The jewelry maker sometimes comes with finished pieces, which she allows to be bought on installment basis. The prices don't come lower than P50,000. I got tempted one time to order a piece from her, a custom-made cat pendant, in white gold.



I love accessories, but I'm not overly fond of pricey jewelry, mostly because I don't have enough money to start a collection. :-) I admire women who own beautiful jewelry, but I don't walk around carrying this hidden desire to wear Bvlgari or Cartier pieces.



The women in my family treat jewelry with reverence. I received jewelry from my mother as gifts on very special occasions, but only when I was old enough to take care of them. And the expensive ones are kept hidden, to be used only to impress relatives during weddings or old classmates during high school reunions.



I like owning things that I can use on ordinary days. In Special Things, I said that I don't have pretty dresses that I save for special occasions. I do have some nice jewelry, but they're not the kind over which I'd lose sleep if I misplaced them, and definitely not the kind over which I'd get killed if I wore them on my way to the office.



But yes, sometimes I daydream of jewelry. I'd also like to give my daughters gifts of rings and necklaces when they grow up. I'd like diamonds. They'll never go down in value, and no matter how small, they catch attention. They wink fire. I like to think a woman should be like a diamond, never insignificant or unnoticeable, and treated just as precious.



And a woman like Elizabeth Taylor? Oh, she deserves a diamond as iconic as her.



No comments: