Friday, November 6, 2009

Salma Hayek's curls

I went to the parlor yesterday to get my hair permed. I wanted to look like Salma Hayek.

I have natural curls in my hair, but they don't bounce and form ringlets. I had a perm some two years ago and I thought it looked fine, so I breezed into the parlor and announced my intention.

The gay stylist said no. Imagine my outrage.

After I had insisted a couple of times that yes, it's what I wanted, and yes, I already know how I'd look like with curls, the stylist sat me down. He explained that I had very fine hair and perming would damage it. He said I had nice wavy hair, and what I could do instead was to have it styled and load it with conditioner. When I had calmed down I asked if he didn't believe in 'The customer is always right.'

No, he said. His job is to make hair look beautiful. If he had given me a perm and my hair started to look ugly after a couple of days, I would have been disappointed and he would have failed in his job. He said he was not after the money I'd pay, but that I should be satisfied enough with the service to make me want to come back.

I liked that. How nice it would be if we all worked the same way: knowing what our job is and doing it the way it should be done. Sometimes we forget that it's not always about the money. And yes, sometimes what matters is not that the customer is right (and gets his way), but that you give what is good for the customer.

He gave me a trim and a hot oil treatment. I got his name and shook his hand. I am not a fan of beauty parlors, but you know, I think I'll go see him again in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I'll let him try the 'hair spa' on me. I may not end up looking like Salma Hayek (I have serious doubts now), but I bet I'll end up liking myself more.

No comments: