Monday, September 10, 2007

lotion lesson


I have always loved body lotions. My favorite is Ralph Lauren Goodbye Dry, which has body shimmer. Then there's Dove lotion, which is sooo difficult to find in the local department stores. At home, we have Vaseline, Body Shop, Jergens, Avon Skin-So-Soft, and Johnson's Baby Lotion. I prefer lotions over perfume and cologne, and I love slathering it on after a bath. If there are women who drool over makeup, I get my fix from body lotions.

So you can imagine my pleasure at receiving lotions as gifts from my husband's two brothers, who are both seamen. I usually get Victoria's Secret's Strawberries and Champagne. Last night, I got a different one, Pear Glace. So I was excited to put it on, which I did this morning.

And on this morning, in my brown giraffe print dress, a beaded belt, dangling earrings, luxuriating in the feel of my new lotion, I felt good. That was, until we hit the traffic. I was riding on the left side of the van, in direct sunlight from Alabang, through SLEX, all the way to C-5 and coming into Pasig. That was a two-hour ride. And all the time, I felt like I was steaming in my scent. I thought I smelled like the air freshener used by airconditioned buses going to Laguna, only. By the time I reached the office, I was badly nauseated. I was also sweating, my arms were sticky, and I had the beginnings of a headache. It's almost lunch time, and I'm still groaning.

Next time I'll save the lotion for when I'm already in the office. At least it's airconditioned, and if my scent fills up the office, well then, at least I won't feel so much like I'm polluting the environment.

No comments: