Monday, July 23, 2007

crazy friends

Great are the friends who bring out the best in you. And lucky are you if you have one friend like that. I only have a few friends, one or two for each period of my life. I had Haidee in grade school (who was my neighbor), Annabelle (who was my seatmate) and Henry and Joseph (who completed my triumvirate) in high school, Gemma in college (who was mostly my seatmate for four years), Jen, and Dhey when Jen left, in my first job, Monette in my second job. Jen, Dhey, and Monette were also seatmates of sorts. Here at the bank, I don't know yet. I usually like being alone.


You do crazy things when you're with friends, and your friends do crazy things to you. Haidee, with the help of my tyrannical grandmother, ruined my chance with my one true love when we were thirteen. I confided in Annabelle (not my mom) when I first had my period... and she promptly announced it to the girls in class. I wrote Henry's speech when he became magna cum laude in our college graduation and my daughter was a flower girl in his wedding. Gemma recorded Depeche Mode's 'Somebody' and we played that single song over and over the whole night we stayed up to finish our thesis in Psychology. I promised that I would give a copy of that song to the man I would marry, which I did, three years after college graduation. And when I grew older (but none the wiser in some ways), I shared boyfriend-problems and later husband-problems with Jen and Dhey. Monette gave me the chance to work in the bank, after we've worked together in the college for four years. She is also my kid's honorary aunt. One time, when my daughter was three, she did not receive an invitation to a classmate's Jollibee birthday party. It was Monette who was so outraged.


And for these friends, you'll go out on a limb. You'll drop everything and go if a friend needed to cry, knowing that she will do the same for you. You mess up and turn your life upside down, a friend will knock you on the head, then help you up. With a friend, you laugh the loudest. For a friend, you fight your damnedest. Because of a friend, you give your best.

No comments: