Friday, June 5, 2015

happy birthday, chloe.

Happy birthday, Chloe. I did not have the heart to wake you up this morning before I left for the office. You were sleeping so soundly, and this is after all the last week before school starts. But I did not forget. I was watching you sleep, and I marvel at how big you've grown, and how funny, and how beautiful. Mothers get teary-eyed at things like that, but it's hard to repair smeared mascara, so I wrote you the birthday note and left.

I know you don't expect a party, or guests, or gifts. Both you and your sister were not raised that way. I feel a little guilty about that, but I was also raised that way, and I suppose I'm passing it on. You do not expect a new dress and shoes to wear every school Christmas party, you do not expect a new bag every school opening, you do not expect a mountain of gifts on your birthday. You do not have a sense of entitlement, just because there is an occasion. That may change when you grow older, but I think for now, we're fine.

It doesn't mean we're not celebrating. Tomorrow I may take you out on a mother-daughter date, since it's Saturday. But know that every day, not just today, I celebrate having you. You and your sister are the most precious things to me. I hope I am doing a good job of raising you well, of teaching you how to live simply, of showing you how to stand up for yourself.

Someday, when you grow up and have daughters, you will understand these things: why school supplies take priority over balloons and clowns, why mothers have to go to the office on your birthday, why birthday celebrations can be simple and still be meaningful.

And know that I love you. With all my heart, I do.

No comments: