Wednesday, April 30, 2014

on sale!

Seen this?

Today is payday and tomorrow is Labor Day, a holiday.  I'm sure working moms all over Ortigas are contemplating their lists: school shoes and school bags, socks and underwear, school supplies, and while you're at it, check the trendy little boutiques and the home section.  And if you get exhausted, well, come back the following day.

I like checking out sales.  Nothing beats getting a pretty black blouse for P99 at Karimadon (well, except when you bought the white version for P750 a couple of months ago.)  Or finding picture frames usually sold at P100 apiece, now at P35, perfect for mounting my Japanese greeting cards.  Or bargain-hunting at Uniwide Coastal mall and finding a Chester the Cat mug-- selling at $38 in Amazon-- for an unbelievable P25.  

But when Megamall goes on sale, I avoid going there, even if it means taking a breathless detour to an overpass outside the mall to get to the other side of the same mall.  True, I would have saved up to 70% on their great selections, but the amount I would spend on a dozen little things that I do not need but could not resist buying would exceed the original price of the things I had actually planned to buy.  Such is the temptation, and we mortals often succumb to it.

There are people who would go there just because there's a sale, and they are 'looking for something to buy,' maybe some advance Christmas gifts.  Most working mothers can't do that.  They live on a budget and they'd probably go on a guilt trip if they buy a spur-of-the-moment pair of heels at 50% off, if they thought their kid needed new school shoes in June.

I'm not trying to sound righteous about my buying habits.  Who wouldn't love to go shopping?  Lucky you if you'd need a van to bring home your purchases on Friday night.  It's just that I've had a conversation with myself, and it went like this:

There would be very nice Celine dresses on sale.

Ok.  Do you need a new dress?

No, but I'd like one.

How many dresses do you have?

Shut up.  I'll go home.



No comments: