Monday, March 11, 2013

day 35: the thank-you list

We brought Ate Malou home on 8 March.  She is now busy getting better, talking all the time.  She sleeps in the living room surrounded by her contraptions, and we have granted her full control of the tv remote.

This goes out to all the people who helped us through the one month that Ate Malou was confined at the Philippine Orthopedic Center.

To Mommy Janet, our neighbor, who bathed and fed my four-year-old, brought her to school and fetched her after class while Ate Malou was away.

To Gohan, Kitty and Grace, Shasel and Ms. Cecile, whose referrals made us breathe easier, and made us understand the workings of the government hospital system.

To my officemates who responded to the email and forwarded it to friends, and to the resident surgeons at East Avenue and Makati Med who kindly offered to help.

To Irene who paid for the pediatric crutches; to Liza for the bulalo lunch that Ate Malou thoroughly enjoyed; and to Pia for the care package.

To Shirley whose sister brought the wheelchair to the POC; and to Joanna who brought the pediatric walker to the office.

To Jackie whose sister sent money and whose brother brought the commode chair to the charity ward and caused Ate Malou to become a celebrity-of-sorts in the ward. The commode chair now resides in my living room and the cat has claimed it as her throne, when Ate Malou is not sitting on it.

To Eva and Jun at the Department of Health; we are very grateful.  Come over one weekend when Ate Malou is well enough to cook, and let's have lunch together.

To Ate Baby and the watchers at the ward who helped at one point or another, you give kindness a whole new meaning.

To my mother-in-law, who makes a mean pork steak and who has taught me how to properly wash my husband's shirts. :-)

To Dr. Badiee and Dr. Chua, and the team who handled Ate Malou's operation, thank you.  I still marvel over the staples on Ate Malou's leg, and since I am afraid of needles, I will always be in awe of someone who can put injured people back together again.  Thank you too for taking the time to respond to my text messages, and for kindly putting Ate Malou's mind at ease every time you visit.

And here's to the POC staff: to Nurse Mario and Nurse Red at the third floor, whom Ate Malou said were particularly solicitous to the patients; to Nurse Jenny at the second floor who was cheerful and kind, and to the nurse who helped Ate Malou's mother navigate the billing procedure.  The staff at the Philhealth Office were efficient and friendly.  The lady at the Medical Records was strict but very helpful.

To Sol at Billing, who didn't know me, but who pleasantly accommodated my questions in the many days we were at the hospital.  To Karen at the Social Worker's office, who showed me the many ways we ordinary people can help others.

When I submit the formal report, your full names will be there.  This is my informal thank-you list, but this one is just as heartfelt, and this one will also be read by people.

I wish you could have seen my little daughter when Ate Malou came home.  They hugged so hard I was afraid I'd have to bring Ate Malou back to the hospital for more broken bones.  I also have to put some bandage and micropore tape on her leg so she could properly sympathize with Ate Malou.

To all of you out there who wished Ate Malou well even if you didn't know her, she doesn't know I'm blogging about her, so I'm thanking you all on her behalf.  Bless your kind hearts, people.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're most welcome Rhen ! Thank you too for the kind words.