Wednesday, February 9, 2011

lunch today

Today I have lots of paperwork, it's very hot outside, and I have no errands to run. So I had lunch at the cafeteria by myself.

I got a big bowl of Vietnamese noodles, which has large chunks of fried tofu, halved tomatoes, spring onions, shrimp and crab fat. Yummy. I also got a fruit cup for 20 pesos, which has watermelon, papaya, mango, pineapple, and orange slices.

I sat in a long table. Have I told you I enjoy eating alone? It gives me space to think (as if I don't do enough of it) and I get to observe people. Ok, so on my right is a group of women, all Filipinos, who were discussing the suicide of former defense secretary Angelo Reyes. One said it's too bad the secrets have died with him. On my left were two Westerners, who were praising the virtues of the Helsinki airport, because when airports in England would shut down due to extreme cold, Helsinki would still be running smoothly.

By the time I'm halfway through my bowl of noodles, the women's discussion has progressed to the merits of bronze eye shadow and the men were on to the Philippine stock market while they mopped up their pasta. I also noted that the men had slices of chocolate sacher torte for dessert, so I decided I would also buy one to take back to my desk. When I stood up the women were exchanging views on Kris Aquino's opinions on P-Noy's birthday car, a 3rd-hand Porsche.

It has been a very interesting lunch.

I'm back in my workstation by 12:45. The temperature is a constant 22 degrees, which means I'm waiting for the coffee service to show up so I won't fall asleep. Maybe I'll try bronze eye shadow tomorrow morning. And maybe I'll do a profile check on Helsinki, in case I'd land there in the distant future.

No comments: