Thursday, August 6, 2009

heroic leadership

Can you believe what I'm reading these days? Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney. Last week it was Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

I'm reading them for my class on Leadership. And I look with longing at my bookshelf, with John Grisham and Stephen King books winking at me.

I have to groan, but I also have to admit that I have learned a lot from these books. My learning logs, required after every session, have been moments of self-discovery. Some are not pleasant. Some force me to confront the kind of person that I thought I was not. Some make me re-think the ways I have been raising my children.

So yes, I don't enjoy them as much as I do the novels, but they do expand my reading list, and sometimes Corelli's Mandolin gets stale. And if I want to be entertained, there's always the International Herald Tribune in the morning.



No comments: