Wednesday, May 6, 2009

my reading list



I bought a hardbound Nightmares and Dreamscapes yesterday, one of Stephen King's collection of short stories. It is an understatement to say that I thoroughly enjoy all of his books, and my daughter looks mystified when her father tells her that her mother loves horror novels. I tell her, "Someday, you'll read all of them. Then you can tell me which one is a good read and which one is not."


I can only wish that Stephen King writes a book every month, so I will never run out of things to read. But then it's probably a good thing; otherwise I would never have been acquainted with John Grisham, Amy Tan, Anne Rice, and all authors great and small in between.


My reading list now includes the following:

(1) Wallace D. Wattles' The Science of Getting Rich

(2) L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future, Book XX

(3) Louis de Berniere's Corelli's Mandolin (for perhaps the 20th time; I love the writing style)

(4) Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (browsing half-heartedly)

(5) The International Herald Tribune (daily, from my boss' subscription) along with the Philippine Star (headlines only)

(6) Managerial Accounting textbook (groan... groan... for my MBA subject)


And yes, I do pick up two different books at different times of day and enjoy them both. The new Stephen King will be for my lunch breaks, so I will keep it in the office.


The next books on my list?

John Grisham's The Appeal and The Associate. I keep resisting the temptation to buy them at the same time, because I will probably finish both in a single weekend, and declare myself hungry for more.

No comments: