Monday, April 28, 2008

Dyesebel


Channel 7 starts its newest television series 'Dyesebel' tonight. The media hype in the past few weeks has been intense, with unveiling of billboards along Edsa, nightly teasers, and yesterday, a launch in their noontime variety show. Needless to say, children of all ages who became avid fans of the Marian Rivera-Dingdong Dantes loveteam from 'Marimar' can hardly contain their excitement.

Including my daughter. It is her seventh birthday this week, and she has been doing her countdown, crossing out the days in the calendar, adding and subtracting guests to her hypothetical birthday party, listing down the gifts she would like to receive, . As is customary, she is allowed to request for one gift (aside from the surprise ones). It is usually a Barbie, which means she now has 6 Barbies from her 6 previous birthdays. She is torn between a new winged Barbie, a robot, and a bike. That is, until Dyesebel came along.

After watching the Dyesebel launch yesterday, she announced that she would like a tail. Not just your ordinary costume, thank you, but something that she could use in the pool. And so this harassed mother rushed through her lunch to drop by at Toy Kingdom in search of a tail. The only one there is Ariel's tail with a matching little bra, from Disney's The Little Mermaid. I almost choked when I saw the price tag: P1,000.00. The saleslady helpfully said that it's been selling like crazy, and the one in my hands is the last on stock that would fit a 7-year-old.

After a serious consultation with two girlfriends and an exchange of text messages with the nanny, it was decided that it would be better to buy the cloth and create the tail ourselves. Of course we needed a bra, and Dyesebel did have a pearly headdress. I seriously considered having mussels for dinner so I'd have some real shells to work with, then I remembered that Kultura Pilipino sells pre-packed polished seashells. Then by way of sharing the misery, my girlfriends agreed to create tails for their own daughters as well. At least we could compare notes.

My daughter's birthday party is on Saturday. Today is Monday. One could sympathize with the crazy things mothers put themselves through, all for the love of their children. I know I'll try my damnedest to create the nicest tail , even if I also know that in a week's time it will probably be in the farthest corner of my daughter's closet.

No comments: